Thursday, October 1, 2009

Indian Pudding

While researching food articles for inspiration, I came across an article about Indian Pudding. The writer discussed Indian Pudding as a classic popular dessert that fell off the culinary radar which he describes as, "something of an American tragedy." Those are strong words to use to describe a dessert--this stuff must be good! So today I made a traditional Indian Pudding. The first place I looked for a recipe for the pudding was in my Encyclopedic Cookbook, and of course, the nearly 1,000 page cookbook had a traditional Indian Pudding recipe! It is as follows:


1/2 cup corn meal
1 quart milk, scalded
2/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups cold milk


Add corn meal slowly to hot milk, stirring constantly until thick. Add molasses and salt. Pour into greased baking dish and add cold milk. Bake in slow oven (325F.) 3 hours. Serve hot with hard sauce, ice cream or plain cream. Serves 6


Once again, I began my culinary journey, stumbling through a recipe that I felt could be more detailed. First, I scalded the milk. I learned that to scald milk you must heat the milk until little bubbles form around the sides without letting it boil. Then, I added the cornmeal to the mixture--which became lumpy--and I stirred like a madwoman until the milk began to thicken. As I was stirring, I realized that I didn't know how thick "thick" should be. I wondered if women in the 1950's (when this book started circulating) knew the precise thickness of a proper Indian Pudding. Probably. 



My lumpy milk and cornmeal mixture


A beautiful measure of molasses


Molasses being mixed into the pudding


Topping the pudding with cold milk before putting it in the oven for three hours


The finished product, topped with cream


Inside the Indian Pudding!


The verdict: This stuff is good. While it isn't the most beautiful dessert on Earth, it is truly American. I cannot understand why it has disappeared from the table--especially at Thanksgiving, when it was most popular. I'm going to make it my goal to bring this one back onto the table and into the mouths of Americans everywhere!


Happy adventuring!

1 comment:

  1. Lea, I made Indian Pudding for Thanksgiving one year! I am sure that one reason it fell out of favor was the 3 hour cooking time, which can't really be done the day ahead. When you are trying to choreograph that ballet of casseroles, breads and bird into and out of your oven on Thanksgiving, it isn't easy to have it occupied for 3 hours with a dessert. Now that I have 2 ovens, though, I think I may give it another try - using your recipe this time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete