Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eggs Stewed with Cheese

Today I wanted breakfast, plain and simple. So I found a recipe for Eggs Stewed with Cheese in a book called Civil War Recipes: Receipts from the Pages of Godey's Lady's Book. After some research, I learned that Godey's Lady's Book was a popular women's magazine from 1830 to 1898. Although Godey's was an American magazine, it had a international readership. The periodical included 19th century hand-colored fashion plates, fiction pieces, architecture, sewing patterns, poetry, and "receipt" columns, from which this 1864 recipe was taken. Here is the original recipe:

Fry three eggs in a pan with one ounce butter, season with pepper and salt, and when the eggs are just set firm at the bottom of the pan, slip them off onto a dish, cover them all over with some very thin slices of cheese, set the dish before the fire to melt the cheese, and then eat this cheap little tit-bit with some toast.











The verdict: I made a few small changes to the recipe. For instance, I only used two eggs instead of three. Also, I did not have an open fire to lay the eggs next to for melting the cheese, so I used the broiler. But really, how could this recipe go wrong? A perfect egg, topped with melted swiss cheese on top of wheat toast. I will be making this again.


Happy adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment