Friday, October 16, 2009

Bacon Rolls

"Almost anything you like can be rolled in bacon, oven or pan-broiled and served on picks."
-The Encyclopedic Cookbook


How could I pass by a recipe that starts with a quote like that? Today I will be making Bacon Rolls, an appetizers fit for the fifties. I followed a recipe like the following:


8 strips of bacon
4 tablespoons of peanut butter
Spread the peanut butter on the strips of bacon. Roll tightly and secure with a toothpick. Broil until crisp.



Eight strips of bacon ready to be spread with peanut butter



Little bacon and peanut butter rolls



The finished product, broiled to a crisp


The verdict: Here's a tip--soak the toothpicks in water before you put them in the broiler! I made a smokey mess of my apartment because I didn't remember to do this. Even so, these appetizers turned out just like I expected. They were really tasty, but--I can't believe I'm saying this--it was just a little too much bacon for me. Because the bacon is rolled up tightly, only the outside gets crispy leaving the inside with a texture more like deli ham, which I don't really like. I appreciate the bacon and peanut butter idea so maybe I will try it again sometime in a sandwich version, which I hear is quite nice.


Happy adventuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment