Thursday, August 25, 2011

Milk Punch

I came across this awesome recipe for Milk Punch on the Massachusetts Historical Society website. The recipe, which dates back to 1763, is from Ben Franklin himself! Check it out:
If you can't read his beautiful script, here is the transcription:

To make Milk Punch

Take 6 quarts of Brandy, and the Rinds
of 44 Lemons pared very thin; Steep the 
Rinds in the Brandy 24 hours; then strain 
it off. Put to it 4 Quarts of Water, 
4 large Nutmegs grated, 2 quarts of 
Lemon Juice, 2 pound of double refined 
Sugar. When the Sugar is dissolv'd, 
boil 3 Quarts of Milk and put to the rest 
hot as you take it off the Fire, and stir 
it about. Let it stand two Hours; then 
run it thro' a Jelly-bag till it is clear; 
then bottle it off. --

Wow, Ben, that sounds intense! 

I pondered making this incredibly interesting sounding punch, but the idea of peeling the rinds of 44 lemons made me reconsider. Plus, I don't own a Jelly-bag. In fact, what is a Jelly-bag? Anyone? So I decided instead to find an easier, smaller-batch version under the same name but more feasible for someone that doesn't want to buy six quarts of brandy.

Here's the updated recipe:

2 oz bourbon whiskey
3 oz half-and-half
1 tsp superfine sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg




The verdict: Milk Punch is good. It's yummy and creamy and oh so decadent. I think this is the kind of drink that one should sip in front of a roaring fireplace, wrapped in red flannel, so I'll stash this recipe until late Fall or Winter. You should try it then too!

Happy adventuring!

2 comments:

  1. Haha no? you don't want to peel 44 lemons?? Sounds like fun to me! And a jelly bag is similar to cheesecloth-it would just strain your mixture really really well.

    Sounds like a fun recipe! I definitely didn't learn it in bartending school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you ever need a hand peeling 44 lemons. I'm down. I just have to make sure I don't get any paper cuts on my hands for like a month before we attempt it. lol

    ReplyDelete